Strawberry shortcake is one of my favorite desserts of all time! Instead of serving with whipped cream or ice cream, I often elect to drown the shortcake in milk. It is divine. I’ve adapted this recipe from Martha Stewart.
6 cups Strawberries, quartered
1/2 cup and 2 Tb Sugar
3 cups All-purpose flour
4 Tsp Baking Powder
3/4 Tsp. Salt
12 Tb. Unsalted butter (1.5 sticks), diced into small pieces
1/2 cup Skim Milk
2 Eggs, large
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Toss strawberries with 2 Tb. sugar and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, 1/2 cup sugar and salt. Add butter and stir until combined. (Alternatively you can use a mixer and pulse until the mixture has pea-sized specks of butter–about 10-12 pulses)
4. In another bowl, whisk the eggs and milk together. Pour over flour mixture and stir until mixed (Note: the dough is rather sticky)
5. Spoon batter on to a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Bake in oven for about 20 minutes until slightly golden brown. Cool and serve with strawberries, milk and if you choose ice cream or freshly whipped cream.